Monday 9 July 2012

Star Wars: Shadow Games



I don't often do book reviews as I'm terrible at them (usually by the time I've finished my first paragraph I've spoiled the whole thing!!) but I didn't put this on my wall and thought I'd better share it with you. 

I bought this book at an airport as I wanted a quick read and Star Wars books are always exciting and fast paced and a very good way to kill a plane journey!! While I picked it up largely due to the lack of other options and because it wasn't tied into another series I really did enjoy this stand-alone book. 

This is what I tend to refer to as a 'small' Star Wars story, that is to say it doesn't drive the main characters forward or plunge the galaxy into war but is a more personal story set in the universe we love but not putting a major dint in the big picture. I wasn't, therefore, expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. I should have expected more from Michael Reaves, author of the excellent 'small' stories in the Coruscant Nights series, which I've really enjoyed as well as Star Wars newcomer Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff. 



The story features loveable rogue Dash Rendar, who broke and temporarily unable to use the Outrider, in need of essential repairs, takes on the job of private security for Javul Charn a galaxy-famous holostar, who sings and performs to billions across the galaxy. But there is more to this job than meets the eye as one after another a jealous ex-boyfriend, Black Sun's Prince Xixor and the Empire all come hunting for Charn and Dash must bury through her secrets and earn her trust if he can really help her. 

Of course Han Solo turns up, as he does in all thesse types of stories, but for once I didn't mind it - the rivalry between him and Dash was good and allowed for plenty of humour and it was good to see their relationship in their younger days. 

All in all it was a worthy read, with plenty of twists and an insight into the tightening of the Empire's grip and the early days of the Rebellion as well as life for 'ordinary' citizens of the Empire be they smugglers or superstars!! 

More soon!

No comments: