Friday 27 November 2009

SF at the movies - November 09

OK - I've just about got it in the right month this time - I'm doing well!

You should know the drill by now - movies, out this month with Sci-Fi in, accuracy of information not guaranteed

The Men Who Stare At Goats

Released 06/11/09












Don't let the curious title put you off because this film is brilliant. The film, loosely based on the book of the same name, tells the story of a reporter in search of a story, he finds a former operative in a special operations unit codenamed 'Jedi'. This faction of the U.S. Army trained soldier to utilise psychic powers in battle. Incorporating martial and mystical arts into thier training these soldiers learned to find hidden targets without leaving a room and even stop the heart of a goat by thought - hence the title. The story, set in current times, takes the pair out to Afghanistan where they find the story isn't over. Moving and hilarious, this film is made all the better because all of it, ok most of it....well some of it is true!

2012

Released 13/11/09










The world has a deadly enemy - Roland Emerich! I think pretty much the entire planet bites it in this one. I still haven't seen it, but I know the death toll and destruction is huge, it has something to do with the Mayan calendar and the U.S. Givernment have built ships of some sort. Looks like a lot of fun, and there are some decent actors in it, but this one may just slip by me.

The Fourth Kind

Released 06/11/09












This looks an interesting one, I was intrigued by the trailer, when halfway through Milla Jovovich turns to camera, reveals her real identity and that she is acting in a film about abduction. The film is based on documentary evidence, though most of what occurs on screen is done by actors. It looks a thrilling style to take on that most popular and haunting theme - alien abduction.

That's it I think - let me know if I missed one.

No comments: