Wednesday 26 October 2011

Star Wars - Jedi: The Dark Side















Star Wars - Jedi: The Dark Side is another example of how cumbersome titles get, especially when you have to stick 'Star Wars' on the front of them, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone though!!

'Jedi' is the story of Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan Xanatos on a crucial mission to bring peace to Telos IV, which just so happens to be the homeworld of Xanatos. Anyway, let's crack on with some new stuff!

New Jedi

Orykan Tamarik
Species: Twi'lek
Sex: Female
Occupation: Padawan








Orykan is a young Padawan apprenticed to Master Tahl, she is grieving the loss of her former master and is scarred by the affects of the turmopiled planet she is visiting with her friend Xanatos.

A few Jedi get their first visual appearances here - Tahl and Feemor. Tahl is Orykan's master, assigned to help Qui-Gon and Feemor is a Knight, Qui-Gon's first Padawan.
















Map

Not much to see apart from the journey from Coruscant to Telos - but I still like making my maps!














Issue Review

Xanatos and Qui-Gon are called to Telos to settle a local dispute. When they arrive they are set upon by thugs who are part of a local rebellion. As they uncover more and more of what goes on events take a turn for the worse with Xanatos' sister being killed in a terrorist incident. As they desperately battle to find out who the true enemy is, civil war starts sparking out, fueling tensions between telosians and outsiders who they naturally mistrust. These events drive Qui-Gon into battle with Crion, Xanatos's father and ruler of Telos who had a hand in creating the turmoil. Qui-Gon takes down Crion in a move that turns Xanatos to the Dark Side forever.

My Two Credits

For once I'm going to be negative about a Star Wars comic!! I just didn't enjoy this one that much. The art was great and the story was good but I just didn't care about what happened. I'm not a fan of the prequel era (I do like the movies, but I haven't read any of the literature) so didn't really know who Xanatos was or the implications of what happened - I assumed he was dead at the end of the story but fans will know that he turns up as an opponent to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in other fiction. I'm not against fan-service at all, I'm sure tons of the stuff I've gone giddy over would leave other fans with the same reaction but still, as I'm not a pre-prequel fan this series had little to offer me this time.

No comments: