Friday 25 March 2011

Assassin's Creed: History













Well I've had some time to reflect on Assassin's Creed, a series I am very much still into and eagerly anticipating more of and I thought it would be interesting to note a few of the things I've actually learned by playing this series, which while fictional is rooted in history and features a whole host of historical characters.

I'm not going to go into detail, just mention things I've found interesting.

Hashhashin












OK, this one I did kn0w, I did know that the word 'Assassin' is derived from this Islamic tribe active during the Crusades and so a true assassin is more than just a killer. This was actually what drew me to the game in the first place and it was really cool to see the imagined perspective of these soldiers in their real setting.

Knights Teutonic, Hospitaller and Templars








OK, i did know about the Templars, and obviously in the game they are the main villains, but I think I learned about how grand an operation this was , how these different groups of knights, from varying lands and with varying roles all played a part in the epic crusades.

The Crusades









I think the main other thing I learned from the first game was the scale of the crusades themselves, I hadn't really grasped how long they lasted or how wide the conflict spread. It was really interesting to be in Acre, a city filled not only with British soldiers, but also shop keepers, bankers, scholars and beggars - a bustling city in enemy territory that things had spread so far was amazing to see.

Leonardo Da Vinci












OK, there is so much stuff in ACII and Brotherhood that I'm struggling to hold it all in, plus I'm out of time so I'll stick with the main fact that has stayed with me - Leronardo da Vinci is so called because he was born in the town of Vinci of ignoble birth and people not of a noble house were named simply after their toen of birth, as was also the custom for others such as, for example Exio Auditore da Firenze (of Florence). He was also probably gay!!

right, hope that was fun - gotta run!

No comments: